Saturday, November 14, 2009

Grandma's Granola


This is my take on my maternal grandma's granola recipe.

Ingredients

4 cups uncooked rolled oats

1 cup raw wheat germ (I used oatbran instead)

1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut

1/4 cup sesame seeds (I used half black sesame seeds "hei zhi ma")

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 cup oil (I use coconut or avocado)

3/4 cup honey

2 cups dried fruit and nuts, mixed as desired (for this batch, I used craisins, dried apples, walnuts and pumpkin seeds); you could also use raisins, pecans, hazelnuts, almonts, dried apricots, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, cashews, dates, flax seeds, etc.

Preparation

Combine all dry ingredients. Mix oil and honey together in a sauce pan and warm on stove top until honey is thin. Stir into dry ingredients. Spread mixture evenly onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. I stir the granola halfway through baking (at 10 minutes). I also continue to stir it a couple times while it's cooling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment