Sunday, October 26, 2014

Apple and/or Pear Cobbler (aka my go-to warm fall breakfast)

I like apples.  Normally I would purchase them from the Farmers Market and just snack on them as slices with peanut butter or almond butter.  This year is different.  We joined a CSA (community supported agriculture).  So in addition to receiving apples each week with the CSA delivery, my husband took my daughter apple-picking.  We've also been receiving pears from the CSA.  I haven't known what to do with all of this fruit.  Apple sauce was a good option when my daughter was a baby/early toddler, but now she doesn't like it as much.
Cobbler thus became my "go to" recipe.
Here is the recipe I've tailored:

Ingredients:

5-6 apples or pears (or a combination of both) peeled, and thinly sliced
1 TBS lemon juice
3/4 cup to 1 cup melted butter (I use Kerrygold and I like butter...)
1.5 cups rolled oats
1.5 cups AP flour (or flour of your choice)
1 cup brown sugar, or 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or a combination of sugars you like)
2 TBS cinnamon

Directions:
(super easy)
Arrange the peeled and thinly sliced apples/pears in an 8x8 baking dish.  It will seem over 1/2 way full.
Sprinkly the lemon juice over the slices.
In a separate bowl, melt the butter.
Combine the Oats, Flour, Cinnamon and Sugar in another bowl.  Stir those, then add the butter until it is mixed-in.  It will seem like a thick paste.  Then distribute evenly over the apple/pear slices.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.

When I eat this in the mornings, I either divide it into individual portions in bowls or tupperwares and keep it in the fridge.  Then I can just grab one and go if I have a busy morning.  If I'm home and have time, I'll reheat it just until warm, and top it with a spoonful of almond butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment